Vegan Pumpkin Pastry
Vegan Pumpkin Pastry
After a crazy and wonderful summer, Fall is here, reminding us of the things that we haven't thought about since last Fall. There is always something special about the breeze in the Fall that makes me want to soak it in forever. The Lord is good to us, even through a breeze!
Pumpkins are quite the thing right now, like literally everything is pumpkin. So to add to it all, we made a elegant Vegan Pumpkin Pastry. Enjoy!
3 ½ cups of organic unbleached all purpose flour
1 tbsp of organic cane sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 cup of ice cold water
2 cups of Pumpkin Purée
½ cup of coconut sugar
½ cup of chopped pecans
2 tsp of Cinnamon
½ tsp of Ginger
¼ tsp of nutmeg
½ tsp of potato starch
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of salt
-Pumpkin Filling Directions-
1. Add all of the ingredients into a sauce pan on medium heat for about 10 minutes to bring all the flavors together and evaporate any water out.
1. Place flour, salt, and sugar in food processor with dough s blade. Pulse to combine.
2. Add coconut oil and pulse until it looks like the gulf coasts white sandy beaches! It should also stick together when you squeeze it.
3. Slowly add cold ice water until it really comes together and looks like dough. (You may have to stop the food processor and scrap the side every once in a while to help it out.)
4. Rap the pastry dough in Saran Rap and place in the refrigerator for about 10 min.
(This is when I would start on the Pumpkin Filling and preheat your oven to 350°F!)
5. Divide your dough into two. (one for the bottom, one for the top.) Then roll it out onto a floured surface!
6. The dough should be rolled out to about 1/4 an inch thick. You should be able to get 10-15 circles per half of dough.
7. Once everything is cut out, fill half of the circles with around 2 tbs of pumpkin filling.
8. Lay the top half of the circle on top of the pumpkin filling and bottom half. Then carefully pinch around the edges. (Don't squeeze the filling out.)
9. Then to finish, press around the edges with a fork.
(You can also make your pastry different shapes and sizes. Just adjust your baking time if necessary.)
10. Bake pastries for 35 minutes at 350°F.
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."